Join us for a traditional service in our new venue: St. John's in Franklin.
10am Sunday the 13th of September 2020
St. John's is the old stone church with the red roof located on the hill on the right if you are entering Franklin from the North, behind Frank’s café, 3328 Huon Hwy, Franklin. The official address is 7 Church St, Franklin, but access is actually by the Frank’s café driveway which continues up the hill.
Early worship in the Franklin district was conducted in a small wooden chapel, dedicated to St Mary, erected c1840, on land given by Lady Franklin. The grounds include a cemetery in which many of the headstones date back to the mid 1800s.
A larger space was desirable, so funds were raised publicly by pioneer settlers, and the foundation of the new building beside the existing one was laid in 1863. After more than 50 years of community input, the new St John's Church was consecrated in November 1896.
Also of historical interest is St John’s pipe organ which was the second church organ brought to Tasmania. It was built by John Gray of London and was originally installed in the Church of England in Launceston in 1826. The organ came to Franklin in 1965.
For 150 years this place was a hub of our community. But in 2014 it was
deconsecrated when the Anglican diocese decided to focus its efforts upstream.
The property has been purchased and restored by descendants of the early settlers who desire to see the church once again open to the community.
King’s Covenant Church is delighted to be re-instating
the worship of the Almighty God here at St. John's in Franklin.
All are welcome to our weekly services at 10am each Sunday, from September on.